Friday, 20 January 2012

From A Pound Dog

Thanks go out to Tracey Hartley who shared this poem on the animal noticeboard.

Have a super weekend and keep this poem in mind if you are considering adding to your family.

The picture’s i chose here are really powerful. Thanks to those who took the time and effort to make them.

 

greatness

 FROM A POUND DOG...

Today is the day that I shall die
My life was short and I don’t know why
I don’t yet know that this will be my fate
The humans just stood there at my gate.
And in their eyes I saw their sorrow
They told me I had no more time to borrow
My 14 days have been and gone
And I’m yet to know what I’ve done wrong.

creatures

I greeted the humans with a waggling tail
But with this their resolve seemed to fail
I did not understand why they cried
They told me again and again how they had tried.But rescues are full and I’m on death row
And this meant that I had nowhere to go
Except for that room and the end of the block
It was only then that I took stock.I’ve seen others go in and never come out
And it was at this point that I had no doubt
Today was the day that I would die
And yet still I did not understand why.

homelesspets

As they led me kindly into that room
I knew my life would be over soon
And again the humans tears began to flow
Another life to be lost on dog death row
I know I’m not the only one
One dog an hours dies as I have done
The needle comes out and the drug takes effect
The human holds me kindly and with respect.
This is the end and I’m going to die
And then suddenly I understood why

late

I was bred without care, without thought or reason
Only because my mum came into season.
I was bred to be sold, bred for the money
At first my new family thought my antics were funny
But as the days past by and the bigger I grew
Left home alone all day
I began to chew.
Soon they said this is not the place for me
So up went my ad onto Gumtree
Family dog free to good home Five months old,no fault of her own that she is being sold.
This next place was even less fun
Kept in a cage with no hope of a run
Soon came the day of my first season
And now I was the one bred without reason.
My pups were soon sold and I was aloneI really hope they all found a loving home
Shut up in a cage, alone and in the dark
For hours on end I would just bark.Once again I became too much trouble

waited

So up went my ad on the double
Work commitments forces reluctant sale
Only ten months old, it’s a familiar tale.The next people seemed nice at first
But it was not too long before the bubble burst
In this place I was to be trained to fight
But they gave up on that as I refused to bite.
They spoke me as I was taken back to my crate
‘If you won’t fight we’ll use you as bait
’I was chained to a post by my collar
When the other dogs attacked I would holler.
This life went on like this for quite a time
But I was soon told I was past my prime
I thought we might have been going for a walk
Yet in the car there was no talk.
And slowly as the car came to a halt
I was thrown out of the door with a jolt
I stood and watched as the car sped away
It was cold and dark and I had nowhere to stay.
It was by this road that I was eventually found
And I was taken away to the local dog pound
And here I lie as I take my last breath
I have one thing to ask as accept my death.
You can help save others from my fate
Spay or neuter your dog before it’s too late

animal

No comments:

Post a Comment